Tuesday, February 28, 2012

You Are God's Best Idea! Daily Epigram for: February 28, 2012




You Are God's Best Idea! Daily Epigram for:
February 28, 2012
"It takes courage to recognize there's nothing to fear."-Douglas Holzmeier

While taking a walk in my neighborhood - I saw a fortune cookie on the ground, still in its wrapper. I like fortune cookies - not that I was going to eat it - but I was curious what the fortune was. I figured - this is like picking up a lucky penny only with words and lottery numbers.  I removed the wrapper - cracked open the cookie and this is what it said: It takes courage to lead a life. Any life.

I don't live my life based on fortune cookie philosophy - but Truth is Truth - regardless of where it comes from. And this was an unusual fortune. It could have stopped after the first sentence - but it added - Any life - to make it clear that you will need courage. And notice it says - lead a life - not just live a life. All of us are living our lives - but how many of us are leading our lives? And if we are not leading with courage - what are we leading with?

Heretofore - I've not been a fan of the word courage. I've only written two epigrams with the word courage in them prior to today. They are: A person without courage is like a pair of shoes without feet - neither step out of their box. And: An act of courage cures discouragement. At first blush - courage seems counter to metaphysics. Meta-physicians tend to emphasize faith. If you place faith first - fear disappears.  This is true - but what is also true is that I've never worn the uniform of a soldier and gone into battle - dodging bullets with the understanding that at any moment my life could be over. That takes a kind of courage I've never had to call upon and it is one that has my admiration and respect.

The kind of courage I am more familiar with is called gumption. My mother would often refer to my gumption when I would step out of my comfort zone and do something surprising.  I have used gumption to accomplish just about everything I've ever done. It doesn't take courage to be a radio air personality or write a book. It does require having enough faith in yourself to think people will like what you have to say and write. One of my favorite movie characters is the fictional Forrest Gump. In the book and the movie - Forrest Gump achieves great things - despite his alleged shortcomings. He becomes an All-American football player - a Vietnam War hero - Ping-Pong champion - and runs coast-to-coast seven times. I've wondered whether Winston Groom - the author of the Gump books - purposely called Forrest - Gump - to denote the amount of gumption he uses to circumvent his 75 IQ.

A synonym for courage is bravery. Additional synonyms are adventurous - audacity - determination - firmness - fortitude - gallantry - guts - heroism - mettle - nerve - pluck - resolution - tenacity - and valor. I like and identify with many of these words but there is something about courage - that is just a little more significant. Courage suggests that you are in imminent danger. I can't say that I have been in imminent danger.  Well - I almost died in a choking incident - but I wasn't using courage to survive - it was my wife administering the Heimlich maneuver that saved my life. Some day - I may need real courage to face a surgery where a large part of my body is opened up. I know I will be counting on the collective courage of loved ones in case that ever happens.

The reason I'm broaching the subject of courage today is because it is just a little too easy to write and talk about overcoming fear - with faith - and poverty - with a prosperity consciousness - because these are not life and death circumstances. As a reader of mine - I want you to know that it is normal to be afraid about the well-being of a loved one who is facing life-threatening circumstances. Just last week - a friend of mine lost her 33 year-old son in a snowmobile accident. This is real life and real pain and all I could do for her was love and embrace her - and that is what I did. During our hug she said to me - "hugs are good, they're better than words "- as if she knew exactly what I was feeling and offering. You need to lease courage to bury a child.

I'm not recommending living life with a puffed out chest and the roar of a lion. That isn't courage. Courage is defined in the dictionary as the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, and pain - without fear. I don't agree. I believe that true courage is facing what you fear - and doing it anyway - because you know the results will be improved for having done so. You don't need the roar of a lion - but the heart of a lion. Interestingly - the origin of the word courage comes from the Old French word cuer - which means heart.

The impoverished heart is the scourge of the sovereign. When you listen to your heart - you engage the Divine. You are not alone. Your heart is a living center in which the love of God flows. In the Bible - the word courageous is most often coupled with - strong. Put your strength in the Power that is back of all things. Faith knows that the Power of Love is greater than the combined illusions of fear.


You Are God's Best Idea!

~Douglas Holzmeier
Author of You Are God's Best Idea! Divine Acceptations and Living the Undeniable Life! (Balboa Press/Hay House)
If you are seeking a Life Coach who can give you direction; inspiration; motivation and treat you like the star you are – call me at 509-302-1022

No comments: