Saturday, January 21, 2012

You Are God's Best Idea! Daily Epigram for: January 21, 2012



For information regarding the Douglas Holzmeier Living the Undeniable Life Coaching Program click here


"If you can compose yourself, you can write your life."-Douglas
Holzmeier


Most self-improvement classes and courses recommend journaling. I never have kept a journal– until now – basically – this is my journal. I have such a good memory that I never thought it would be necessary or purposeful to journal. I’ve changed my mind. With few exceptions – the great men and women we celebrate kept diary’s or journals. They chronicle their progress – and sometimes - decline. It is also a good way to tell you your own story.

The life you live is the story you tell. More to the point – the story you tell is the life you live. We are living our thoughts out loud. You can adjust these thoughts and beliefs if they are not working for you. If a person is living unconsciously – they are not even aware of what’s working and what isn’t. It is kind of like a person who can’t figure out what foods to eat when trying to lose weight. They eat mostly protein for a few days and the scale goes up. They then try lots of fruits and vegetables – and the scale doesn’t change. Keeping a food diary – what you ate – when you ate – how much you ate – can in time reveal the truth of what foods work for you and which ones don’t. (At least with weight management)

Don’t feel that you are cheating regarding raising your consciousness by taking and keeping notes. There are no rules – except the one that encourages you to love.

I was at the grocery store today and witnessed two exhibitions in levels of consciousness. The first one involved a cashier who walked past a dripping roof and two “Caution: Wet Floor” signs four times before she turned to an associate and asked: “Do we have a leaky roof”? How did she miss it? Simple – she wasn’t looking for it.

The second observation involved a little girl and her father who sat down in the café to have a sandwich. Five minutes into their lunch the girl pointed to a car in the parking lot and said: “Look Daddy – there’s our car.” A curious comment I initially thought. They arrived in that car. Why would she be surprised to see it? About ten minutes later this (I’m guessing 4 or 5 year-old) yelped: “Hey – there’s your car” – like it was a Unicorn.

After mulling over her comments for a few minutes - it occurred to me that this young child has only been conscious – in the way we think of consciousness – for 24 months or so. In her world – her awareness - she is used to looking outside the windows of her house and watching for when Daddy or Mommy come home. Maybe she watches through the pre-school or Kindergarten window and has the same thoughts. Even though she and her father drove to the store in that car – they were INSIDE the car. Inside the grocery store café’ – looking out that window and seeing the familiar family vehicle – she blurts out “There’s our car” – surprised to see it where it usually isn’t.

How often are we surprised by the obvious? You discover a new food; a fresh fabric; a different kind of movie or music experience. It starts with being OPEN to new adventures and being aware that these enterprises can and do exist inside your awareness – when you expand your world – and that starts with appreciation for all that is in this world - even what seems at first blush - flawed.

One of my early girlfriends was bi-polar. Her behavior was sometimes odd – other times frightening. Everybody saw this many weeks before I did. The things she said and how she said them triggered anxiety and concern in everyone except me. I didn’t see them. My focus was very narrow. She liked me! Eventually I broadened my view and saw the things that were a part of her psychosis. I also learned a few years ago that she had been the subject of neglect and abuse as a child. My consciousness of her has come full circle. I can see her again as a person who is divine and important – who has awakened to her illness – and has received the help she had needed for decades.

I encourage you – if you don’t already – to write down what it is you know and what you believe you know. Examine your life. There are things we simply don’t know - we don’t know. When I was five years-old – I thought that the songs I heard on the radio were being performed live in the radio station studios. From the 1920s through the 1940s – that was the way it was. Maybe I had see one of those old movie musicals and projected my movie experience into my five-year-old mind and thought that the Jackson 5 just hung around the WCOL studios in downtown Columbus and sang their hit - ABC - every other hour - just for me. As ridiculous as that idea is – it was my perception and therefore – my reality and experience. It was my level of consciousness at that age. In what ways do we as adults form perceptions that are just as silly because of a ritual or tradition – even a superstition – that has been passed down like a precious heirloom?

Be aware of what people would like for you to inherit. You don’t have to accept and parrot what they wrote for themselves. The only thing you need to accept is your inherent divinity and the only thing you need to write – is your triumphant story!

“If you can compose yourself, you can right your life.”-Douglas
Holzmeier



You Are God's Best Idea!

~Douglas Holzmeier

Author of You Are God's Best Idea! Divine Acceptations and Living the Undeniable Life! (Balboa Press/Hay House)

No comments: